Sunday, October 12, 2008

The GM G Body Platform


Some of my personal favorite cars are from the GM G Body platform. These cars were made from 1978-1988 by General Motors and models were produced under all the General's brand names. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile all had a G body platform car. Cadillac however did not. G-bodies were rear-wheel drive and were built from 1982 to 1988. However the first generation of G's actually began production in 1978 under the A-body classification. They were born when GM decided to shrink down the B body cars that were made in the mid to late 70s. I have personally owned several G bodies and my friends and I continue to collect, restore and heavily modify these (hopefully) soon to be classics. In this blog I will periodically be providing updates on my current G body projects and those of my close friends. My next project will be my 84 Monte Carlo, however my flagship project that is almost complete is my 80 Monte Carlo.

I have owned my 80 Monte since 2003 and have performed several major upgrades to her. The largest of which is a motor transplant. I swapped out the feeble stock v6 and replaced it with a 350hp v8 ZZ4 crate motor. The zz4 comes with a tire shredding 405 foot pounds of torque, on top of that I added a edlebrock pro flow fuel injection system for ultra modern performance. Power is put to the pavement through a turbo 350 transmission and then transferred into a 8.5 inch posi rear end that I took off a 87 Grand National. With a slight touch of the accelerator the tires break loose and create enough smoke for the neighborhood watch types to call the fire dept.

All shifts are performed from the cockpit via a B&M megashifter and I can keep close watch on the vitals thanks to a complete Assembly of Autometer gauges that are custom cut into the dash console. The car breaths easier thanks to a ram air intake and a custom flowmaster mandrel bent true dual exhaust system that exhales through a set of super 40 flowmasters. The car has numerous body enhancements including a custom front grill, a forward opening hood and several other neat tricks. The body lines are sharpened dramatically since all moldings, emblems, pins and holes have been shaved, filled and smooth out including the door handles, side mirrors, parking lights. Trunk and door locks were also ditched for a tighter look and are now operated via remote control. I have been working on the car for over 5 years and expect to have it completed by the summer of 09. More updates to come



No comments: